WHAT IS A PARALEGAL WORKER?
A paralegal worker is a person with basic knowledge of law and procedures with motivation, commitment attitude and skills to:
- conduct education programmes to enable disadvantaged people to become aware of their rights In particular the rights of women, minorities, the child and bondage labour;
- facilitate the creation of organised groups and to enable them to demand their rights;
- assist in securing mediation and reconciliation in matters in dispute;
- conduct preliminary investigation in cases which have to be referred to a lawyer; and to prepare a brief of the facts for lawyers;
- to direct the disadvantaged to legal aid clinics or bar associations for legal assistance;
- to identify problems suffered by the ordinary person and to highlight their situation;
- to form links between Individuals and groups working towards the promotion of human rights;
- use activism with wisdom for the promotion of human rights value.